Leadership Geauga County’s leadership experience provides participants with access to community leaders, hot-topic discussions, behind-the-scenes site tours, and interactive panel interviews across all community sectors. This annual 10-month signature adult program emphasizes leadership development, learning through experience and provides in-depth knowledge, tools, and the network to lead stronger organizations and better serve the community.
- 13 interactive sessions, spread over 10 months (including an overnight retreat and full-day graduation ceremony)
- Cultivate relationships with leaders across a wide range of sectors, industries, and backgrounds.
- Unparalleled networking
- Gain unique and diverse perspectives on critical community and business issues
- Go behind the scenes of some of the County’s most unique and cutting-edge organizations
- Thought-provoking discussions and interactive activities
- Access to a network of 700-plus alumni
- The prestigious graduation certificate awarded by Leadership Geauga County
In addition to an orientation, opening overnight retreat and closing graduation, the program includes nine days traveling throughout the County, experiencing Geauga County’s major community economic influencers. Participants examine the History of Geauga County, Educational systems, Human Service offerings, Health and Safety systems, Government interactions, Business models, Agriculture diversities and Arts/Leisure activities. To support the leadership development of our participants, small groups plan each issue day which allows for newly-formed collaborations and expanded learning beyond the sector of personal study.
Leadership Geauga County program develops the following competencies:
- Growth Minded
- Social/Emotional Intelligence
- Servant Leadership
- Effective Communication
- Relationship Building
- Change Agent (Innovation)
2021-2022 Program Calendar
Each class day runs from approximately 8 AM – 6 PM and includes breakfast, lunch and a closing reception.
• September 10, 2021: Orientation
• September 23-24, 2021: Retreat (overnight retreat beginning 8 AM Thursday and ending at 2 PM Friday)
• October 22, 2021: Heritage Day
• November 19, 2021: Education Day
• December 3, 2021: Human Service Day with Alumni Holiday party
• January 21, 2022: Health and Safety Day
• February 4, 2022: Midyear retreat
• February 18, 2022: Government Day
• March 18, 2022: Business Day
• April 22, 2022: Agriculture Day
• May 20, 2022: Arts and Leisure Day
• June 3, 2022: Graduation (full day and evening dinner)
In addition to these program days are 6 planning meetings, scheduled at a mutually agreeable time, to plan your program day.
Class participants come from every sector and neighborhood our community and must either live or work in Geauga County. The Leadership Geauga Board of Trustees looks for the following criteria and then approves the slate of candidates: personal integrity, a desire to increase community involvement, the ability to set and obtain goals as demonstrated by career/personal achievement, a growth mindset, and the commitment to the time and effort necessary to complete the program. This process results in a membership class that is representative of a cross-section of the population.
Application Process &
Applications are accepted through July 1, prior to the start of the participant’s program year. The Leadership Geauga Board of Trustees will approve the slate of candidates and letters of acceptance will go out in early August.
The cost to participate in the program is $2,000 and is inclusive of all meals, lodging, transportation and program materials. LGC has a limited number of partial scholarships to award to those candidates who have a demonstrated need
A note on scholarships:
We encourage all applicants to seek tuition payment/reimbursement from their employers. In cases where the full cost of tuition is a burden for either the company/organization or the individual, a limited number of scholarships are available. To be considered for a scholarship, simply fill out the scholarship request, in as much detail as possible, in the application.
What Our Graduates Had to Say
“This program was exceptional!”
“Best work experience ever!”
“Broadening my personal network was so beneficial.”
“I am inspired to give back!”
100% of our participants strongly agreed or agreed that:
The program was worth my time and tuition
I built stronger community connections
i will be a better employee due to my participation